Friday, September 28, 2012

Chapter 19: The Changeling


________________________________________________


"Uvie, wake up," Ardax pokes at her until her eyes open.


"My baby! Evenfall!" she gasps "What happened to her?"

"She was like that when I woke up," Ardax says, "I've never seen anything like it."

This...creature...she holds, it's not her daughter, Uvie knows this in her gut. It looks up at her with it's lifeless and yet still somehow seeing, comprehending eyes and smiles in a way that makes the distressed mother shudder. She puts a mental call out for Auberon, he should know what magic transformed, replaced their child as she slept beside her, but the only response she gets is silence. His magic still courses through her, she feels its surge, but he is no longer there to answer her call.


"I want my daughter back," Uvie sobs, clinging to Ardax.


She could not reach Auberon, so Uvie makes a desperate plea to one who might know where he is, or how to help her. Bringing Ardax and the false Evenfall to the water's edge with her, she cries out for Ico, begging for her aid.


Her distress call carries through the water, and Ico responds. Uvie took a great risk in helping her escape from her mother, and Ico will repay that in any way she can.


"When I woke up, this lay beside me, in place of my baby. I tried to call Auberon, but he did not respond," Uvie tells her.

"This thing has no life, though it has been enchanted with some sort of semblance of life," Ico says, kicking it gently with her toe, "Your daughter was not transformed, she was taken. And this fetch was left in her stead. A cruel prank," Ico sighs, and frowns, "And I know exactly who would do such a thing."


"Auberon's disappearance...he has been known to leave the world from time to time. But that he would do so soon after the birth of his child, his first...I will look into that as well. I fear these events are not unconnected," Ico says, "Do not worry, Uvie, I will get your daughter back for you."


Ico leaves the sobbing mother, taking the fetch with her.

Ardax holds Uvie close to him as she cries. He knows the pain of losing a child all to well. "Don't despair yet, there is still hope she will be found," he says gently, knowing that words are never enough.


Ico returns to the camp to find Moth has come with news of his own.


"Auberon sleeps and willnot wake," Moth says, his words coming in a fast, heated jumble,  "Summerdream cursed him, andtook hischild. She..she threatened to curseme aswell if Id didnot leaveher sight."

Ico suspected it was Tania that took the babe, but hearing that she put Auberon under a curse is a surprise. "She's become a menace to us all," she says, her voice taking on a growl like her Aymeri's, "I will go and end this, now."

"I will go with you," Tegan announces.

Ico raises a brow at him, and he shrugs. "Aymeri would go with you if he wasn't out with Kirwyn. It never hurts to have a dragon by your side, and I might be able to talk that crazy fairy down."

Ico can't help  but smile, just a little, even in these dire circumstances, "I'll be glad of any help. And she is still somewhat....attached to you."


Moth leads them back to Tania's chamber in the house Auberon created.

"Oh, Tania, what have you done?" Ico sobs as she sees Auberon, cursed and unconscious on the bed.

"I did what had to be done," Tania says, "Auberon had gone to far in his love for this girl. I had to stop him, and bring his child back to our kind, her kind. Auberon will not be safe until that girl is gone, so he will sleep until she is dead."

Ico groans. Fairy curses cannot be undone, not even by the fairy who casts them. A more powerful fae can sometimes modify a curse cast by another, but only Auberon might have the power to alter Summerdream's curse, and he lies asleep. "How could you be so cruel?" Ico asks.


"How could you be so ignorant and thoughtless?" Tegan shouts his question.


Tania casts a wary glance in his direction. "What concern is it of yours, dragon? Auberon is not your kind, nor is his mortal lover."


"It was not that long ago that we stood on the verge war with each other, fairy. While we talked of war, this one's name was frequently raised; he was our one worry, the only one of your kind who posed a serious enough threat to give us pause. And you, without any thought for your people's safety, have taken out your greatest defense, out of simple jealousy and spite."


"But, we're not going to war," Tania says meekly, the force of his reprimand cowing her.

"I know you saw the dragons who left this area because they wouldn't accept the peace. I was with them, and I've seen what they are becoming. They may be gone now, but they could come back at any time to try to reclaim what they left behind, to bring the war they were denied. What will you do then, fairy, while the strongest of you lies under your curse?"

"I didn't know..." Tania protests.

"For someone so ancient, you have the mind of child," Tegan snarls, "You never think past your own selfish desires. You tell yourself you did this for the good of your people, but you know in heart you did this for revenge. You've taken a child from her mother, claiming it is best for the babe, but you didn't think about what it would mean to set the mother's whole tribe against your kind."

"Let me bring the child back to her mother, Tania," Ico says softly from beside the bed, sensing that Tegan brought Summerdream to her breaking point, and now is their one chance to get her to hand over the child without a fight.

Her nature as petulant and impulsive as ever, Tania pouts, "Take her, and leave me alone, all of you."


"What about Auberon?" Tegan asks as they leave Tania behind to sulk like a punished child.

"There's nothing we can do," Ico says sadly, "Once a fairy's curse is cast, it cannot be undone. He will sleep and only waken with the death of his child's mother."

"Your kind have far too much power," Tegan observes, "And no laws to govern yourselves."

"You may be right," Ico sighs.


Ico returns Evenfall to her mother before the sun sets, and explains the curse that was laid on Auberon. "I will place a ward on Evenfall, that no harm shall befall her, and especially that no fairy may cause her harm. Summerdream may yet try to interfere with you, and I will try my best to protect you. Auberon is my friend, as are you, Uvie."


Uvie clasps her daughter close to her, vowing to never lose her again.


"I'll never see you again, not really," Uvie cries when Auberon joins her in her dreams that night.

"I was a dream long before I entered your world," Auberon says, "I wish this was as real for you as it is for me."

"But you won't see your daughter grow," Uvie protests, "She'll never know her father."

"I'll see her through you, my love," Auberon says gently, caressing her face, "And she will know me through you. Our daughter is fae, she will not age and die as a mortal, and when I am awakened, I will be with her."


"I wish I could give you more, my love," Auberon says he takes her in his arms, "All we have now is our dreams."


Ardax watches over them as they sleep. Uvie didn't blame him when she woke to find her daughter missing, he put that blame on himself. He'd failed to protect Thari and their children, and he'd failed again to protect Uvie's child. They been lucky, this time, to get Evenfall back, but Ardax will not trust luck, or a fairy's ward, to protect them a third time, and so he stays wakeful, and watches.

__________________________________

In folklore, stories of changelings are fairly common. Fairies (or trolls in some cases) will steal a newborn child and leave a changeling behind in its place. The changeling is sometimes a fairy baby left in trade for the human baby, sometimes an elderly fae left to end its life in the comfort of a human home, and sometimes it's a fetch, a wooden creature imbued with life, made to look like the taken child. For this story, I went with the 'fetch' model of changeling, using the IF doll for its creepiness.

For those who haven't been reading my Brannon Legacy, I have been doing a crossover of this story there. In my legacy, I started mashing Moth's words together to imitate his fast speech pattern, and I decided to start doing that here as well, so that explains the new way I'm writing his speech here. 

23 comments:

  1. Sad, but I like it, and I understand Tania's reasoning.

    And AGAIN, poor Ardax. ;.;

    I'm gonna start shipping him and Uvie, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky.
      You always seem to be most in tune with where I'm going in a story, I'll just say that. =D

      Delete
  2. Goddamit Tania : ( You're more of an idiot than I thought. And I feel so sorry for Ardax, blaming himself for Evenfall being taken. It really wasn't his fault... *Sigh* I dunno if I want him and Uvie to be together like Becky does.

    At least Uvie and Auberon have their dreams <3.

    Oh! One last thing: The IF doll... killed me xD Just killed me. The second I saw it I started choking on my drink and crying. Oh goodness... poor Uvie. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there is nothing creepier than an IF doll. The first time I saw one, my immediate thought was of a fetch, tbh. Burn it with fire!

      Uvie and Auberon do have their dreams, which works for him as it's kind of a natural state for him. But she is human, and humans have needs in the real world that dreams can't really satisfy.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad Evenfall was returned to Uvie so quickly. But poor, poor Auberon! At least he can see Uvie in her (their) dreams...

    And go Tegan! That lecture was perfect and Tania needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I was going to write that confrontation with just Ico (or, Ico and Moth, lol) but Ico trying to reason with Tnia just wasn't working. Then it hit me, a strong lecture from Tegan would do what reasonable arguments would not.

      I did want to keep the changeling story to one chapter and not drag out the search for the lost baby forever. Don't feel too bad for Auberon, though he is under a curse, he's actually not too sad about it. I mean, he would like to be able to be in the world to see his daughter grow, but for him the dreams he has with Uvie are as real, if not more real, than the real world. I think it's Uvie who will suffer more for it, because she just can't accept dreams as real experience.

      Delete
  4. Tania has in my mind done the lowest thing she could possibly ever do. Because of her thinking of nothing or no one but herself she jeopardized Uvie and Auberons child and placed a curse on Auberon that she can't even undo, this is what she wanted, this is what she's got. I can't think of a punishment harsh enough for her.
    Now all Uvie and Auberon have is their dreams/sigh, I'm hoping Ico can find a more powerful fae somewhere to get the curse off him and I hope if it happens(fingers crossed), that Auberon will unleash all hell on Tania. She's too dangerous to be lose.

    At least Uvie has Ardax in the real world, he is such a kind and giving soul.....edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, edenz! Tania really wasn't thinking clearly at all there, but she i pretty impulsive to begin with.
      I don't think Ico will be able to find any more powerful fairies, and Auberon really is stuck under this curse until Uvie dies. All Ico can do now rally is try to protect Uvie and Evenfall from Tania if she gets any more ideas.

      It's a good thing for Uvie that she made friends with Ardax, he's been a huge support for her.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Tania really is a complete thoughtless idiot! I just hope the dragons that want war don't come back until the curse runs it course.

    I'm glad Uvie's got her baby back though even if she's lost Auberon (except in dreams which just aren't satisfactory)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right, Ali. Tania doesn't think before she acts.
      But thanks to smarter fae like Ico, and with the help f a dragon, Uvie got her baby back. She has sadly lost Auberon except for in her dreams.

      Delete
  6. Tania is...wow...then to put the fake child there just to rub it in almost. I'm glad that Ico was around and Tegan...Tegan did well to tell her how he really felt! Although I'm sure Tania still thinks she was right somehow.... They should really do something about Tania, take away her powers because she does not deserve them at all.

    It's really sad what she has done to Auberon and Uvie, that they will only meet in dreams....

    I applaud this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aeon!
      Tania does probably still think she was right. She only handed the baby over because she didn't lile being lectured about it. Yes, she is that childish.
      I don't think thee is a way to take away a fairy's powers.

      Delete
  7. What a clever use of the IF doll! What a sad chapter! Poor Uvie. At least she still has her daughter, and Ardax. :)

    And Tegan sure read Tania the riot act! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Nirar!
      Uvie got her daughter, which was most important to her.

      Delete
  8. Horrible, horrible act Tania took upon herself to do. In jealousy and greed she placed everyone in danger. There must be a way that Auberon can do something from the dream state. If he creates the place his body sleeps, perhaps there is something he can do or have Uvie do. I didn't think he would come into her dreams anymore; I thought he was lost to her for her entire life. Ardax is such a sad man.

    Fantastic ... loved every word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Fae!
      There really isn't much Auberon can do in the sate he's in. He's locked in dreams. Because of his connection to Uvie, he can still visit her dreams, but even if she were able to use his power to modify Tania's curse in some way, he might not consider it worth the risk for her to try to get past Tania.
      Ardax has had a lot to deal with. Though the death's of his mate and children were not his fault, he blames hhimself for not being there to try to protect them from the dragons. And now Evenfall was taken right from under his nose and he's blaming himself for that, too.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic. I love that you used the changeling lore. Fairies are not always good, and often about themselves (as I understand it anyway). Very nicely done.

    That said, UGH! Poor poor Uvie. Is there any way Auberon can use his magic inside the dream to counteract Tania's curse?
    "Every night, I dream of you. Sometimes I just can't wait to fall asleep so I can be with you again." I had Greg say that to Elena, and it's a personal thing for me as well. It fits here too. <:)

    Beautiful update, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mypal! Fairies are frequently bad. For every good 'fairy godmother' there are a dozen fairies more interested in stealing your babies or putting curses on them. I'm aiming to use a lot more fairy lore like that as the story progresses.

      Auberon can't counteract the curse that has been placed on him, I'm afraid.
      That's a beautiful quote. =D And very fitting.

      Delete
  10. I am really upset that Tania would do that. She is so selfish. I can not believe that she would be so selfish. Teagan was right, it was war and she possibly destroyed their little "packs" hope.

    I like stories of Changelings. When I was in high school, we had to write a short story and I wrote about me being a changeling and that the real me, was somewhere in the world living it up, with "Rich" people. I got a B, but it was cool. Anyway this was an awesome chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania is incredibly selfish, there's no getting around that.

      I used to like think I was secretly a fairy changeling myself, and someday I'd get to go back to my 'real' home in fairy land.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. Argh! Tania... not happy with her, lol! And using the IF doll for the changeling was just... creepy... Another great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no one is happy with Tania.Maybe someday I'll write a story where she's the hero that saves everyone...but that won't be any time soon.
      The IF doll creeps me out, and made me think of changeling stories the moment I first saw it. So it was a natural choice for me.

      Delete
  12. Tania did something pretty stupid and selfish there. I loved having Tegan tell her off for it, too, though I doubt the lesson will sink in with her.
    And having Uvie lose Auberon made me sad as well, though they do at least still have contact in dreams. But yeah, that 's more real for him than it ever can be for her.
    Uvie is probably not ready right yet to start up anything with Ardax, but in time...;)

    I think I mentioned in comments here, the IF dolls always made me think of changeling stories, so it was the perfect prop for this.

    ReplyDelete