Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chapter 20: Never is Too Long


__________________


"She looks like you," Ico observes, "But she has her father's magic, I can feel it." In Auberon's absence, Ico has taken it on herself to help raise the fairy child. But like Auberon, she prefers to stay out of sight of Uvie's tribe, and meets with her and Evenfall only outside the village. "What do you tell your people about her?"


"They don't ask me," Uve laughs, "My mother used to frighten people on purpose, to keep them in awe of her powers. I wanted to be different, but every time I use Auberon's magic to help them, it puts more distance between me and them. They are far more frightened of me than they ever were of Aven. It's Ardax they ask about my blue-skinned, blue-haired winged daughter. He has a way with people, he makes them feel safe, like he can be trusted, and they believe whatever he tells them. And what he's told them is that I'm particularly favored by the spirits and that my child is a gift, not just to me but to the whole tribe, who share in the favor I've garnered. He won't lie outright, but as he sees it, there's a kind of truth to that."


Uvie hesitates before broaching the subject most on her mind. But she'll never know if she doesn't ask.

"In months of dreaming, I have not seen Auberon," she confesses, "Is he...?" Uvie cannot finish her question, fearing that some harm has befallen him, but even more, fearing he simply has lost interest in her.

Ico gives her sad sort of smile, "Nothing can harm in in his current state, " she says, "Time moves differently where he is. Perhaps it doesn't move at all. And you know Auberon, he's easily distracted."

Uvie frowns. What distraction is more attractive than their love?

"Don't fret on it," Ico says, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder, "He loves you, even if he isn't always present."


Ico has watched over Evenfall since Tania tried to take her, and she's seen the power the fairy girl will one day wield; she is a true inheritor of her father's magic. It will be some time before Evenfall can use the power that glows inside her, but when she does...she could free her father, Ico realizes. And her conversation with Uvie today reminded  her of something she'd long forgotten. Summerdream has the ability to enter any world, real or imagined; that was how she found Auberon and brought him to this world. Ico does not have this ability, but when she and Auberon were lovers, he taught her a way to come to him in his imaginary realm, where they would make love out of Tania's sight. Just as she used to do, Ico lays down in the waters she calls home, closes her eyes and asks them to take her to Auberon.


"Ico," Auberon greets her as she sits beside him, "I did not expect to see you here."

"Well, you can't come to us, so we must come to you. You are greatly missed."

"My daughter? She is well?"

Ico nods, "I see her often. She has your power, Auberon. I will do my best to train her, but a time will quickly come when she exceeds what I will be able to teach her."

"Thank you, Ico, for watching over them."

"You don't ask about Uvie," Ico observes.

Auberon smiles, just he slightest turn of his lips, "I don't have to. I'm with her, always."

"She doesn't know that," Ico says, "She misses you."

Auberon says nothing, looking away over the water.

"When she comes of age, Evenfall will have the power to undo Tania's curse," Ico continues.

Auberon turns his attention back to her. "No," he says.

"No?" Ico asks, surprised by his response.


"Ico, train my daughter, teach her everything you can, but do not let her wake me," he says with an urgency most unusual for him.

"I don't understand," Ico says, "You wish to remain trapped here? To not be with Uvie, to leave your daughter to be raised without you?"

"What I wish is not important," he says, "Come, I will show you something."



"When they dream, mortals create little worlds inside them, worlds known only to themselves. But I've learned of late, trapped in the imaginary realms, that they have an unexpected power to dream a collective dream, and to bring that dream into their reality. In some ways, it is much like my own power, though theirs works indirectly and unconsciously," Auberon says as he brings Ico to stand before a great stone statue of a woman. "The mortals are starting to dream a new dream, and I have been witness to it since its inception. I'm only just now beginning to grasp its significance."

"You want to remain here to watch this dream unfold?" Ico asks.

"No, I must remain here or this dream will not unfold as it should," Auberon says. Pointing toward the statue, he continues, "You see this? That is Uvie, not as she is now, but the image of her that grows in the dreams of her people. In time, this image will become reality, and through it, Uvie will gain immortality."


"But, unless the curse is broken, if Uvie does not die, you will never awaken," Ico says.

"Uvie will die eventually, as all mortal creatures do," Auberon says, "But unlike the rest of her kind, she will live on in a new form. Long after she is gone from their world, her people will continue to call on her, to pass down stories of her, and most importantly, to believe she is with them, protecting them."

"I still don't quite understand," Ico says, "Nor do I see why you must remain under the curse."

"I've seen the path this dream takes, Ico," Auberon says, "And my part in it is done. If I were to go back to the world, she would turn too much toward me, and that would take her off this path and onto one that ends in her simply dying as any other mortal, unremembered past a few generations."

"And so you will stay imprisoned here so that you may be reunited with Uvie once she's died and become immortal?" Ico asks, trying to understand.

"This is no prison, not for me," Auberon says with a smile, "Nor am I certain we will be reunited once she's become part of humanity's collective dream. But, yes, I will do all in my power to see her to this destiny. Even if I must lose her."


Ico return's from her mind's journey with a chill in her heart. Is it truly noble to sacrifice love for the sake of the one you love? she wonders. Could she make that choice?


Needing his warmth, Ico presses herself against her dragon. "I won't lose you," she says with grim determination, "I would never give you up."

"I thought that was understood," Aymeri answers, surprised by her ferocity, "Has something happened to trouble you?"


"I've seen what you are becoming, my love. Tegan has joined you, your brother Kirwyn and his mate have pledged themselves to you, and asked for your protection. I cannot see the future, but I can see the path you are on, and it ends with you being a great leader of your kind. Maybe some of your people will question your relationship with me, a fairy. And maybe it would be in your interest for me to give you up so you can be more secure in your position. And I'm telling you now, I won't do that. I will stand by your side no matter what hardships it causes."

Aymeri laughs, "That may be the strangest declaration of love ever made, Ico. But I'm glad to hear it."


Uvie watches as Ardax puts Evenfall to bed,


"You've been a real father to her," she says when he joins her by the fire, "You've done so much for us."

"I love her like she was my own," he says.


"Ardax," she says his name with a soft sigh, leaning her head against his shoulder as she wraps her arms around his chest. They lived together chastely since before Evenfall was born, and their friendship has grown into a deep bond that both have come to cherish. "I know your heart will always be with your Thari," Uvie whispers, caressing his hand, "But do you think it's possible that we could become mates in more than name only?"

"I've tried to live in my memories," he answers, "When I'd close my eyes, I could feel her touch, hear her voice. But memories, like pain, fade over time. When I close my eyes now, Uvie, it's is another's touch that comes to mind."


"It has been the same for me," Uvie admits, sliding around to sit in front of him, to caress his face and touch her lips to his, "I watch you, your hands, your arms, as you go about your work, and I imagine your arms around me, your hands, touching me."


She has seen his gift as a healer, he touches a person and the body reveals itself to him, telling him of its needs. He uses it to determine the source of an illness and find its cure; Uvie now learns that his gift for understanding a body also makes him a skilled and obliging lover, knowing at every moment what will most please her, how to both arouse a need and satisfy it.


She rests her head against his chest as they fall asleep in each other's arms, listening to the steady beat of his heart.


He's there waiting for her as soon as she enters her dream. She feels a stab of guilt, but Uvie doesn't know which of her lovers she feels ashamed about loving.


"There should be no shame, no guilt in your heart," Auberon says as he sweeps his arms around her, "I am here to give you my blessing, my little love, to tell you that I am happy for you."

"You want me to be with Ardax?" she asks, "You aren't jealous?"

"I am part of you, Uvie, and your happiness is my happiness, your love is my love, even when you love another. And the child you've conceived tonight, he is your man's, but he is also mine. My magic has become so much a part of you that it will pass to all your children, and they shall pass it to theirs."

"Child? I am with child?" she asks, smiling to hear it. Ardax will be pleased to be a father again, she thinks.

"Yes," Auberon smiles with her. "Know that I will always love you, and always be with you. But you must not live for these dreams, Uvie, you must live out in your world, with your man, have children and serve your people."

"Will I never see you again?" she asks sadly.

"Never is too long a time. I will come to you whenever you have need of me." It will not be as often as he might like, but he does not tell her this. Letting her go is not easy, but it must be done.

29 comments:

  1. AH! FAIRY TODDLER! SO CUTE!

    Pardon me. My brain melted for a second there. I was sort of exasperated with Auberon throughout this chapter right until that last paragraph. Now I'm really sad for him. : ( Fae aren't like humans and that's hard to understand sometimes, but you write them so well and I really feel a connection to all your characters.

    Ico's statement of love to Aymeri made me lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the new 'explore around' self-interaction for toddlers. And fairy toddlers are especially cute when they fly up.

      Thanks a lot. Auberon's motivations can be a little hard to understand, and I'm glad you didn't end up hating him.

      Delete
  2. Your writing just takes my breath away. I loved this chapter, and I love the direction you are taking this story (or at least, the direction I *think* you are taking this story). I wasn't surprised that Uvie and Ardax got together, but I was pleasantly surprised by Auberon's reaction. I don't know what I expected from him, but he seems to have wisened up quite a bit since we saw him torture the dragon. Also, being able to sacrifice so much for Uvie and the greater good. He reminds me a bit of the messiah in that respect.

    I really enjoy how everything comes together so nicely in your stories. Uvie being immortalized by her people, Auberon as a witness to humanity's collective dream, and well, I could go on for hours. Great chapter! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen! Yeah, the threat of war brought out the worst in Auberon, but he did learn from the experience.
      Auberon's sacrifice wasn't so much done for the greater good as it was in service to the awe he feels in watching the process that's taking place before him. As a creative force himself, this kind of spontaneous creation from the human collective dream is something almost sacred.

      Delete
  3. Heh. Ico making sure Aymeri knows he's not just a random fling.

    I do wonder what Evenfall's opinion on all this will be, once she's old enough to have an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evenfall will eventually be a major character in all this, when she's older.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Uvie can get it on. Go her. I think this chapter had more depth to it. You get a few answers and you start a few questions. Great Job on this one. I so love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This chapter is so sweetly written although it is certainly bittersweet. It made me feel slightly teary but happy knowing that Uvie has found love in a man that she can truly be with, that she and Auberon will still have each other and that she and Ardax will be having another child together. I'm just...touched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, heaven! I know a lot of people were hoping for Uvie and Auberon to be together forever, but that just wasn't meant to be. I do think she will be truly happy with Ardax. Even if Auberon hadn't been cursed by Tania and stuck in dreams, he wasn't going to be able to live with Uvie day to day, and it would have been a difficult affair for them both to maintain while keeping it secret from her people. So his giving her space to move on was probably for the best, she'll have real human love and family for the rest of her life, something he couldn't give her.

      Delete
  6. Oooh now which child will be the ancestor of Aouregan I wonder?

    Awesome chapter, as always. I love your custom content so much! I wants the pretties...and I love your photography skill. I can't get mine to go like that *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's not a secret, Aouregan is descended from one of Uvie's children with Ardax. I couldn't come out and say that in responses to the comments in the Brannon legacy because I hadn't gotten to the point in Summerdream yet where Uvie and Ardax had gotten together. (Though Becky was already shipping them, lol) Because Uvie has Auberon's heart inside her, all her children inherit some of that magic, and that passes all the way down to Aouregan. (Who doesn't know anything about her ancestors this far back in the stone age.)

      Thank you so much. If there's any particular piece of CC you want help finding, feel free to ask. If I remember where it came from, I can post a link.
      As an art student, I specialized in photography, and now I waste that skill on game screenshots, lol. At least I can pause the game world to get my shot. And I don't have to worry about film speeds.
      Shooting Sims outdoors all the time like in this story is difficult as the outdoor lighting can often be utter crap. I find that shooting near bodies of water helps as the reflections on the water in the background of pictures gives a really lovely effect. Also, placing Sims under trees in a way that creates a nice shadow pattern from the leaves. When shooting indoors, changing the color of the interior lighting from white to flame looks a lot nicer.

      Delete
  7. I love Ico! She seems to be the best of them! I think she will do evenfall well! Auberon is very dedicated to Uvie, that much is sure. I wonder if Uvie would rather have him there though...with that said I think Ardax and Uvie make a really good couple though. I wonder what path Uvie is on though... Really great chapter as always though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aeon! Ico certainly stands out as the most likely of the fae to actually be helpful and be there for her friends when she's needed. Evenfall will need her influence and help as she grows up amongst the humans.
      I think if she were given the choice, Uvie would have wanted to keep Auberon and give up whatever he's seeing for her in the future without him. But, you know Auberon, he's decided what it is best and isn't really asking for other opinions. But Uvie does have Ardax, and they are good together, so, while I do think she'd be pretty upset to learn Auberon is making this big decision without her, for now it's a matter of what she doesn't know won't hurt her, and she'll have a happy life with her mate and future children.

      Delete
  8. A happy/sad chapter! Uvie and Ardax are a great match, I am glad they are able to be together, and that Auberon even *blessed* it.

    "Aouregan is descended from one of Uvie's children with Ardax." Children, plural? Humans definitely have more babies than the fae do!

    I loved the whole Ico and Aymeri, I'm not giving you up thing. That was funny! :P Go Ico! As a side note---is there anyone Auberon hasn't slept with? lol :P

    Evenfall is a little doll. It'll be fun to watch her grow up---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auberon isn't really all that big on monogamy, he's had a lot of lovers and still considers himself Tania's lover, though they are in one of their fighting phases at the moment. And he's not hypocritically jealous when one of his lovers loves someone else. He doesn't feel there's anything wrong with that at all. In Uvie's case, her relationship with Ardax is part of the path he sees for her. He's the intermediary between her and her people, they go to him to try to understand her, making him the first to mythologize her.

      Yeah, humans are a fertile bunch, lol. Uvie and Ardax will have more than one child.
      Ico has decided she's keeping Aymeri no matter what, lol.
      Auberon has not slept with Shayeleigh, Moth, or any dragons. There are of course lots of fairies out there that haven't been in the story, and no doubt Auberon has slept with his share of them. Because, he gets around.

      Delete
  9. well just break my heart into a million pieces why don't you!?!

    Okay, well now I think of Uvie and Ceres or something.

    I'm too caught up in emotion to really say any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sorry, mypal, I didn't mean to break your heart! =(

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, just read this after reading your latest Brannon update and I'm wondering whether my guess as to whether things are going with Uvie will prove to be accurate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! I bet your guess is a good one. ;D

      Delete
  11. Aradax and Uvie are sweet together and he's gonna be a daddy!~

    I won't lie and say that it didn't break my heart when Auberon was talking with Uvie at the end, because it did. He's perfectly happy to stay where he is for her benefit, I kinda get it. I still can't help wondering if there is something else going on there, guess I'll find out.

    I'm also still pissed that nothing ever happened to Tania for what she did to both Auberon and Uvie.....spiteful biatch aint I=b......edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, edenz!

      It was sad for me, too, to break Auberon and Uvie up.

      Tania does get away with a lot of bad behavior, it's true.

      Delete
  12. ... and I finally reached chapter 20. Yay! Chances are that I will finally catch up during the Easter weekend! :D
    I really love this story so far. English is not my first, so I needed some time to adjust to the style you write in. But now I am fine ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sniff* Auberon, you are so sweet. I'm glad that he doesn't feel bad in his unconscious state. That path to destiny thing with the statue was really cool. And yay for Uvie that she doesn't have to be alone cause she has Ardax! I hope that Auberon letting her go doesn't mean he'll stop seeing her in her dreams... sad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dream state is Auberon's natural habitat, so he's not bothered by it at all.
      The whole thing is so bittersweet, with Auberon stepping back like that. But it gives Uvie the chance to experience human love, which is something Auberon cannot ultimately give her.

      Delete
  14. I am simply in love with these characters I find myself anticipating their every movement. You are truly a talented artist, I could see this as a motion picture :D Wow simply amazing though my heart breaks as Uvie looses her love...sort of but the baby is SOOOOO cute. One question though, why does she have wings when all the other fairies do not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the compliment. =D

      I started this story before SN came out, so my faiies were just regular Sims. With SN, I decided I wanted my fairies to be 'real', but I didn't want to just suddenly have them sprout wings. So, I decided that sinceI was going to have a time jump coming up where we go from this primitive era to a medieval setting, that I would wait and give the fairies wings in that time. It does get sort of explained how they got wings there.
      As for Evenfall, she was just the first fairy born with wings.

      Delete