Saturday, March 9, 2013

Chapter 33: Courage and Strength


______________________________


"Well, I knew you were no ordinary horse," Sterren muses, smiling to herself. Cutting through the enchanted forest took hours off their travel time, and as they arrived in Odet in the late afternoon before the sun set, Sterren had begun to worry where she would stable Shayeleigh while they stayed here. Shayeleigh herself solved that problem by transforming into a chipmunk.


Leaving Moth and Shayeleigh to fend for themselves, Sterren found the house belonging to Fransez le Bihan, and old friend of her mother's, and the healer and servant of the Lady for Odet. She'd been here once before when she was child, about the age of the boy she fins reading in a corner while Fransez works on his potions as she enters the shop.

"Just a moment, please," Fransez says, not looking from his cauldron.


The boy closes his book and rushes over to greet Sterren. "My name is Jean," the boy says, "I'm going to learn magic, just like my grandpa. He can cast spells ad even turn bad men into toads!"

"Don't mind the boy," Fransez says with a laugh, "Jean, you're going to be a smith like you father, and turn raw metal into swords and ploughs."

Jean pouts, "I want to turn iron into gold," he says, "Not stupid ploughs."


"By the Lady!" Fransez exclaims when he actually looks up to see who his customer is, "Sterren Avendale! Is that truly you? I haven't seen you in years. But I'd know your face anywhere, you look just like your mother. What brings you to Odet?"

"I just came for a visit," Sterren says, not wanting to tell him her true purpose here, to rescue Reinier Landgraab's prisoner. The last thing she'd want would be to get Fransez in trouble with his lord. "I wanted to ask you about cures for the sweating sickness."

"I should be asking you," Fransez says, "I heard you performed a miraculous cure on a little girl in your village..."

"I did nothing," Sterren admits, "I prayed to the Lady, and this strange, shimmering dust fell from her hand to my own. When I went to visit the girl, it was that magic that cured her, not me. I worry now that people will believe I have a cure for the sweating sickness, but I don't know if I could do that again."

"We've always known that prayer was the only recourse we had when faced with sweating sickness," Fransez says, "In your case, the Lady actually interceded. Still, I haven't stopped working on trying to find a more reliable cure. We cannot rely on the Lady to act on our behalf if we don't try to help ourselves."

Sterren nods. Her mother often spoke those very words, and Sterren herself has given such advice to those who come to her looking for miracles.

"It's time to close shop for the day," Fransez says, "Will you walk with me?" Not waiting for her to answer, he turns to his grandson, "Jean, your mother will be looking for you. Go home and have dinner."

"But I want to finish my book," Jean says.

"Tomorrow," Fransez says, "If your father can spare you from the smithy."


"Jean seems very enthusiastic about learning our trade," Sterren comments, "And you have no apprentice...?"

"My daughter married a smith, and Jean is a smith's son," Fransez says, his words weighted by sadness, "And, with the way things are here, it's best for the boy that he give up on thoughts of potions and spells, and accept a trade that will be appreciated by the people. Our new lords, the Landgraabs, have brought much change to Odet, and I fear by the time Jean is a man, the Lady will have been thoroughly supplanted by their Watcher."

"But, surely, the people will not just give up devotion to the Lady?" Sterren asks.


"Here, look," Fransez stops before a tall statue standing in front of a tall spired building, "Do you remember this place?"

Sterren squints her eyes as she tries to recall her one trip to Odet as a child. "No, I don't think I've ever seen this building. I certainly never saw this image," she says of the hooded figure holding a great eye out over his chest, "I don't think I would forget something so...disturbing."

"This used to be our Lady's sacred grove," Fransez says, his words jarring Sterren's memory. Her mother had brought her here, it had been a lovely garden with tall trees and a statue of the Lady just like they have in Avendale. "The Landgraabs cut it down and built their church here. They worship their Watcher inside this building of stone, and they've locked the Lady up inside the tower. They say it's to protect her, but it's just removed her from the people's sight.  They say people are free to worship as they will, but only those that worship the Watcher are given favor by the Lord here. The older folk won't give up on the Lady, even while they pay service to this Watcher, but the children are growing up in a new world, a world that has no place for the Lady. I want to teach Jean to love and serve her, and at the same time I fear for his future if I do."


"I've had word from Father," Deidericx says, stopping with his brother in the town square while his wife ambles about with one of her ladies, "He's on the road, coming here."

"Here? I thought he was in Gothenburg?" Reinier asks, surprised at his brother's news.

"He was. And the Goths are so impressed with you that they've decided to come out here to meet you sooner rather than later. You're nearly as good as married, brother," Deidericx says with a teasing smile.

"I would much rather delay it," Reinier mutters, frowning at the news of his impending doom.


"Marriage isn't that terrible," Deidericx laughs, "And being yoked to a wife is the price younger sons like ourselves have to accept for the land they bring."

Reinier stops listening to his brother as his glance falls on Sterren approaching. It couldn't possibly be her, here, and for a moment he thinks he's just dreaming her.


But he's not asleep or drunk, and so can only trust his own eyes. It is Sterren, and he steps away from his brother without excusing himself, so eager is he to greet her. She must be as troubled as he has been after their last parting, and came here on his heels to mend the breach.

"I meant to write you, to send an invitation for you to join me here," he says, "But here you are, only hours after my arrival."

Sterren blushes, feeling foolish, knowing that it must seem that she's chasing after him. "I came to visit an old friend of my family," she says feebly, gesturing at Fransez behind her, who stopped to talk with a local girl. Biting her lip, Sterren hastily adds a "My Lord," and a curtsy.

Reinier smiles, "I'm not your lord," he says quietly, "I'm your lover. And I must apologize for the harsh words I spoke to you when last we met. I spoke in anger, when I should not have, and I beg your forgiveness."

Her hands flutter nervously as she tries to find a response, wanting to express the anger she stills feels, yet not wanting to protract the argument when she needs to be invited into his brother's keep in order to rescue the wilder. "I'm not accustomed to being told what I may or may not say," she says finally.

"I made you promise to always be honest with me," he says, "And then I became angry when you did as I asked. That was my mistake, my love, and one I will endeavor to correct. I love you for your candor. I admire your spirit, though I am not accustomed to seeing it in a woman. So ask you to forgive me. I don't want any bad feeling between us."

"I--I forgive you," Sterren says, his gentle manner overcoming what is left of her anger.


"Deidericx, husband, who is that common woman your brother is speaking to?" Edelina Landgraab demands, sidling up to her husband.

"We haven't been introduced," Deidericx answers.

"Well, I certainly hope not!" Edelina exclaims, "I care not what he does in the taverns, but must he carry on in public like this?"

Deidericx laughs to himself, not bothering to answer his wife's complaint.


"You must come and stay in my brother's Keep," Reinier insists, "You must be our guest here, so that I may repay your uncle's hospitality to me."

Sterren would normally back out of this arrangement, but access to the Keep, and to the prison in its tower, is what brought her here. "Are you quite sure?" she asks, knowing she shouldn't appear so eager, "Your brother and his wife may not be so happy to give hospitality to a commoner."

"You are the niece of Lord Marrec of Avendale," Reinier says, "Hospitality is the least they can offer you. Come, I can bring you there now."

"I must finish my visit with Fransez first," Sterren says, "And gather my things."

"As you will, my lady," Reiner says, smiling, "I will see you at the keep this evening."


"You've gone mad, you know that?" Diedericx asks when he learns of his brother's plans for marriage, "She has no lands, offers no money even. Her claim to nobility is weak. Her uncle may be a lord, but he has a son and a young wife; she'll get nothing from him."

"I love her," Reiner says.

Diedericx rolls his eyes, "Love her all you like. Her commoner status is an advantage there, she can be your lover without any expectation of more from you than the occasional token of your affection to keep her happy." 


"And what of my happiness?" Reinier demands, "I'm not content with keeping Sterren as my lover, or with marrying a woman who I have no affection for."

"Stop being such a girl, Reinier," Diedericx laughs, "Marriage is not for love or happiness. You marry for money, land or title and nothing else. Happiness and love is what you get from your mistresses. And you are being blessed with both an advantageous marriage to Agneta Goth, and the love of a mistress you clearly adore."


"I can't accept that," Reinier says flatly, ignoring his brother's taunt, "I'm going to marry Sterren before Father arrives here with the Goths. That's the only way I can be happy. Will you stand with me?"

Diedericx laughs, "I should lock you up until you see reason," he says, "But of course, you'll die of old age before you learn any sense. So, yes, I will stand with you. What have I got to lose? I took this town, my title and my wife with no help from our father, so there's nothing he can take from me. You, however, have everything to lose, you understand that don't you? This girl has no land or title, and if father chooses to disown you, you won't even be welcome among the minor nobility as the common husband of a common woman."

"You forget that I'm the Dragon Slayer. A hero," Reinier points out, "People will always respect me for that, and no one can take that title from me. No house, from the highest lord to the lowest peasant, would close their doors to me."


Fransez's garden has a small pond, and it is there that Sterren mets with Ico to discuss their plans.

"They keeps prisoners in the Tower," Sterren tells her. "Once everyone is asleep, I can disguise myself as a servant and move somewhat freely around the house, so long as I stay out of sight of the other servants. But, I'll need a key just to get into the tower, and then I must get past the guard to the cell where they're keeping the wilder."


"Moth and Shayeleigh can retrieve the key. When you are ready in your disguise, meet me by the cellar door, and I will give it to you," Ico suggests.


"Still, getting him out of the tower won't be so easy," Sterren says, "Dressed as a servant, I can slip by, but getting past the guards with a prisoner, possibly injured..."

"This tower has windows, "Ico says.

"Yes, but, surely you aren't suggesting he jump?"

Ico smiles, "His kind are very resourceful. And stronger than you could imagine. Free him from the metal shackles, and he will find his way out."


Neither Ico nor Sterren notice the boy watching them in awe from behind the washing hung out to dry. Jean has read many tales of the fair folk, and despite his father's assurances that they were only stories, the boy has always believed. And he always knew that someday, he would see one with his very own eyes. But even in his wildest imaginings, he had no thought they would be so beautiful as the fairy woman who lives in his grandfather's pool.


Sterren arrives at the keep after nightfall, wearing the finest dress she has, a gift from her aunt.  Reinier draws in a sharp breath when he sees her in her finery. To him, she is always beautiful no matter how roughly dressed, but tonight she she shines like the stars themselves, and all he wants to is fall onto his knees before her and declare his love for her to the world. 


But, these things must be done according to custom, so instead, he takes her arm and presents her to her hosts. "Lady Edelina, may I present Sterren of Avendale, niece of Lord Marrec," he introduces her to his brother's wife, "Lady Juelina Brunel, and Harildis."


Introductions to the men follow, starting with Diedericx, lord of Odet since his marriage to Edelina, the last surviving child in her father's line, who traded the town she'd inherited for marriage to a wealthy but landless son of the great northern Landgraab family. Diedericx looks over his brother's mistress with a hungry eye, not a little envious at Reinier's prize, but also not so foolish as to throw himself away for even this beauty.

Between her mother's instruction and her Aunt Gwencalon's example, Sterren at least knows how to conduct herself in noble company, even if she cannot find away to enjoy it, and gets through the evening deflecting Edelina's cutting remarks without faltering in her own courtesy.


But when the evening's entertainment is finally over and Sterren is shown to her room, she's finally able to breathe normally again, and drop the fake smile she'd been wearing.

Reinier follows her into her room just moments after the servants stoke her fire, and takes her into his arms, kissing her deeply. "Your whole family will know what we're up to," she protests feebly, not caring, for herself, what Edelina Landgraab thinks of her, "I didn't expect you'd come to me until much later."

"I told my brother today that I intend to marry you," Renier tells her, "He promised to stand by me. We could be married tomorrow, my love. Just say the word."

"You said I had until summer's end to decide," Sterren teases, avoiding her answer.


"Unfortunately that's no longer true," Reinier says, "My father is on the road now, with Agneta Goth and her brothers. If we are not married before they arrive, it will be too late."

Sterren turns away from him, but he keeps his arms around her. "This is just so sudden," she says.

"But it's all the time we have. If you don't marry me this week, then we lose each other forever. I wish it were not so, but it is. I love you, Sterren. Don't you love me? What more do you need to decide?"

"I love you," she sighs, "I love the man that comes to my bed with sweet words and tender caresses. But, there's this whole other side to you. The dragon slayer, the man that takes prisoners, the lord that cannot be defied. I don't love him, and I don't want to know him."


Reinier falls to his knees before her, pressing his head to her stomach as her clasps her waist, "Please Sterren, tell me what I have to do to win your love. I will bend to your will in all things, so long as you love me."

"What would happen if you simply refused to wed the woman your father chose for you?" Sterren asks, "You're willing to defy him to marry me. Could you not defy him for your own sake?"

"I'd be penniless, and homeless," Reinier says, "I'd have to live on the hospitality of nobles still willing to host me just for my status as a dragon slayer."

"That would take courage, and strength," Sterren says.

"I have both," Reinier says, "And I'm willing to do this for your love."

"My uncle hopes that I will marry you, to raise me back up into nobility. But I don't want to be a lady, nor do I want a lord for a husband," Sterren says, "Would you step down and become a commoner to marry a common bride?"


"I would, Sterren. I would do anything for your love," Reinier vows, and Sterren drops down to her knees to kiss him.

"If you could always be the man I love, and not the lord, I could, perhaps, marry you," she murmurs.


For the next few hours, Sterren forgets about her true purpose here, forgets that she had any other business in Odet than reuniting with Reinier, making love to him with unfeigned ardor as she imagines a future with him, in her house, on her terms.


There's only one prisoner in the tower to guard, so the night's watch should be the easiest duty one could draw, Except for this pesky insect buzzing about his head, giving him no peace.



Every time he tries to slap it away, it comes buzzing back. It flies away, only to come back again as soon as the guard is sure he'll finally get a nice quiet doze in. Frustrated, he gets up to chase the insect, determined to put an end to its miserable life before his watch done.

While he goes off after the firefly, a squirrel hops up onto the table unnoticed.


Before he comes back, unsuccessful in his hunt, the squirrel takes the key in her jaws and runs off with it, out the window she came in through.


After Reinier, and hopefully the whole keep, is deep asleep, Sterren rises quietly from the bed. For a moment she wonders if she could have made him promise to release his prisoner for her sake. But he agreed only to giving up ties to his family for her, not to give up dragon slaying, and it's too late now for her to take that chance. Ico will be waiting for her.



Dressed in servant's garb, she slips quietly down the cellar stairs to the door where Ico waits for her.

"Here is your key," Ico says, handing it to her, "Moth says Morvyn is in the east tower. There's but one guard in the tower itself, though there are more on the floors leading up to it. I can cast a glamour over the keep, giving all who are awake a sense of well-being, a feeling that all is as it should be, so no one should question while you make your way up there, so long as you don't do anything to draw attention to yourself. But even my spell won't stop the guard at the tower from trying to stop you from freeing Morvyn."

"Don't worry about him," Sterren says, "I have something for him."


As Ico promised, no one noticed the servant girl as she walked past them. She acted as though this were part of her normal routine as a servant, and they behaved as though her presence was an expected part of theirs. When she got up to the tower, she took the sleeping potion from her pocket, and mixed it into a goblet of strong wine.


The guard accepted the drink without question as well, though Sterren doubts he was used to such service so late at night. But whether it was Ico's spell influencing him, or just self-indulgence, he drank the wine down with a smile, and thanked her for the kindness.


Within moments, the potion had him out cold on the floor.


Noticing a length of rope hung on the wall with other tools, Sterren takes it and brings it with her.


The wilder, asleep on a rough mat when she enters his cell, rises quickly when she comes in, looking at her with glowering suspicion. His scowl turns to confusion as he recognizes her, "You," he says in disbelief, "I saw you, at the castle. You argued with him."

"I'm here to free you," she says, "Are you terribly injured?" His face is a bit bloody beneath the dirt, but a quick inspection shows nothing broken or wounded.

"They locked me in here as soon as we arrived. I've seen no one since," Morvyn explains, and Sterren wonders if her visit interrupted Reinier's plans for him.

His ankle is shackled to a large ball and chain, which Sterren frees him from. "Ico is waiting for you outside. There are guards and soldiers throughout the lower floors, however," she tells him.

Just as Ico suggested, Morvyn looks to the windows of his cells, "How far down?" he asks. 

"Too far to fall," she answers, and shows him the coil of rope she brought.


The rope is not quite enough to see him all the way to the ground, but the fall the rest of the way down is not too terrible, though the landing is hard and rocky. And finally away from that metal with its strange weakening power, Morvyn can at last heal his own injuries. As the girl promised, he finds Ico, as well as Moth and Shayeleigh, waiting for him in the moat beneath the tower.


With her part in this rescue done, Sterren slips quietly back to her room where Reinier still sleeps, not aware that she was gone. She undresses and crawls into bed, nestling under his arm to rest her head on his chest. He stirs slightly, not really waking, and squeezes her close.


"That's him?" Ceyrth whispers as the two men approach their hiding spot behind the bushes.

"I'd know the dragon slayer anywhere," Kelyn hisses in return.


"One arrow is all I'd need. We'd be gone before his friend can call for aid," Ceyrth says.

"No. I"m going to look him in the eye when I kill him," Kelyn growls.

"And expose yourself to his friend," Ceyrth points out.

"You can put an arrow in him," Kelyn suggests.

"We aren't here to kill anyone but the dragon slayer," Ceyrth says, "We aren't going to take an innocent."

"He's with the dragon slayer; how innocent can he be?" Kelyn insists.

"We don't know of any wrong he's done," Ceyrth says, "I can knock him out so he stays quiet for the night, but we won't kill him."

"Fine," Kelyn agrees. As long as the dragon slayer dies, she's happy.


Ceyrth leaps on his target seemingly out of nowhere, one well aimed punch knocking the man unconscious.


And Kelyn moves just as quickly, sinking her knife deep into the dragon slayer's gut, twisting it to make him groan in pain. "You'll never kill another dragon," she hisses as she watches him die.


21 comments:

  1. Exciting chapter! So now we know where a certain someone learned the toadification spell, eh? ;)

    And... looking like someone else sucks sometimes! Ouch.

    Now I have to wonder about the father and older brother.

    Reinier seizes Odet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, toadifcation. I was also making a sort of reference to Dragon Age. If you play a mage, there are these instances where NPCs will flee from you in terror, yelling about how they don't want to be turned into toads. There is no toadification spell in DA, though.

      Yeah, getting knifed for being mistaken for the dragon slayer totally does not make up for all the times Diedericx used the family resemblance to get laid.
      It's just so easy for me to endlessly clone the same Landgraab over and over. The father will probably be another one, slightly older. I think there might be a few elder brothers, the family is probably fairly large. But I don't like to commit until I have a good plot reason.

      I love how you always seem to know where I'm going. =D
      Reinier wouldn't be a Landgraab if he wasn't willing to grab some land.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh snap.

    I kinda feel sorry for Reinier's brother. : ( He seemed like a decent guy, and he was good to his family. Ooooh well.

    I'm a little nervous of Sterran being found out, but I'm more worried that now Reinier will never be able to rid himself of his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't say Diedericx deserved to die or anything, but all we knew about him was that he married for the title and land he got from his wife, and encouraged his brother to marry for land and title while keeping Sterren as a mistress. And in the end he agreed to stand by his brother because he had nothing to lose, meaning he probably wouldn't have stood by him if he did have anything to lose by it. So I'm not sure I'd describe his as particularly good to his family, or decent. Not horrible or anything, but basically self-serving.

      Reinier is a Landgraab, and that's not an easy thing to shake.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! They killed Rei... Oh... Wait... Lol :p
    Well, no. Not lol. If they had killed him, think how much better off the entire sim-world would be now?
    I did, however, lol at the bit where they were worried about killing an innocent, and only wanted to kill the dragon slayer. Oops.

    So... You just made this more confusing. Reiner suddenly goes all sweet and willing to step down from his family titles and leave the luxury and finery behind to be with Sterren. So, what the hell happens next? Clearly something goes majorly wrong somewhere.
    I would assume (as mentioned above) that he does gra(a)b himself some land, Sterren gets angry at him breaking his word, and then he gets angry to the extreme.
    I'm confusing myself now, so I just know that made no sense.

    But YAY! Morvyn is alive and well :) Even though it's his fault Talfryn died, the dragons can't really afford to lose two of their numbers. I get the feeling there is another great war coming up, and this time Aymeri won't hold his tribe back.

    I'd like to see how those... thingies (I forget the name, Kelyn and Ceyrth) tie into all this. Will they be a help or a hinderance to our dragon/fairy friends? Obviously I don't think they'll be on the human's side, but I don't know if they'll be on 'our' side either.

    This chapter has only given more questions, rather than answers! *pulls out hair*
    Look forward to the next one, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceyrth and Kelyn really should have made sure they knew who their target was. I don't think Kelyn cared much if they killed and innocent, and won't be too upset to learn that they got the dragon slayer's brother by mistake, except that her target s still alive. Ceyrth, however, wouldn't be too happy.

      Yeah, stuff will majorly go wrong. I won't say what yet. You and Becky are both sort of onto it, but there's also more that will happen to make the whole thing go pear shaped.

      Morvyn is alive and out of the dragon slayer's hands.

      Kelyn is a dragon, but Ceyrth is an alfar, which is Scandinavian for elf. Kelyn's mother is Dechtire, who was also Tearhne's mother. She moved her nest up north awhile back, and now Kelyn, along with Fearghus and Inira, have come back. Ceyrth has come along because he wants to meet these fairies he's heard about and been compared to.Kelyn will be fiercely loyal to the dragons in any fight (Fights that she might instigate), while Ceyrth is more likely to take the side of whoever he believe is right. But he's also got some loyalties to Kelyn as an old friend.

      I'm looking forward to the next chapter. I wanted to get the next day's events in this chapter, but realized this chapter was already pretty long just ending with Diedericx's death.

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy that Morvyn is okay! I do wonder if he will seek revenge for Talfryn's death. If he can avoid the metal that is and that's a big if.

    I feel bad that Diedericx had to die just for looking like his brother. I hate his wife. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That metal is a major hindrance, because it cripples both dragon and fairy magic. It's definitley something the dragons will have to plan for if they decide to go after revenge.
      I haven't gotten too much into this yet, but you'll notice the northern dragons like Kelyn use weapons. They've been dealing with the culture of dragon slayers and that metal for some time and are learning to adjust, to fight humans on human terms, not relying on their magically enhanced strengths.

      I know, Diedericx died an unjust death. But, shit happens. I hate his wife too. Whenever she spoke I heard her in the voice of this character in Dragon Age, who has the most annoying French accent you could imagine. Marjolaine.
      Here's a sample:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXBKQBll4w
      Just the first minute is enough. By the end of this scene, you are so ready to kill her.

      Delete
  5. What No, you can't possibly end it there. Really. So Reiner is going to be pissed off. I would hate to be around him. I know how the Landgraabs work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I had to end it there, it was getting too long.

      Reinier is not going to be happy, no. His brother assassinated and his prisoner set free are pretty good reasons to get angry.
      I'm really looking forward to the next chapter. =D

      Delete
  6. Sucks to have been Dietericx. No, they didn't 'know' a dragonslayer when they see one. I wonder what they'll do when/if they discover they killed an 'innocent' (doubt he's all that innocent).

    I'm so so so worried about Sterren. Well, of course I am since you told us in the Brannon legacy a piece of what happens. Still, I know I'm not going to like it when I get to that part.
    She looked really pretty in that dress, not that she doesn't anyway, but still. :)

    I wonder if that smith's son boy will come into play in some way, or is he just a super-minor character.

    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, being mistaken for his brother really screwed things up for Diedericx. Kelyn I'm sure will feel no guilt about killing the dragon slayer's brother honestly. She wasn't the one worried about killing an innocent, and I don't think she cares too much about humans. Ceyrth on the other hand, was the one that insisted they one kill the dragon slayer, and took Kelyn's word when she said it was him. He wouldn't be too happy to find out the truth.

      We've got a ways to go before we get to that part told about in the Brannon legacy. But Sterren will be in awkward position the next morning when the night's events come to light.

      That Smith boy is going to be a Very Important Character when he gets older. He won't be important in this part of the story, but I wanted to introduce him here as a child and show his first 'encounter' with a fairy.

      Delete
  7. Heh, Reinier may not be the most morally upstanding type of guy but it does seem his feelings towards her are sincere. He's willing to marry her despite that he may just lose it all. In fact she wants him to lose it all to prove it to her and at least in words he says he's willing to do that. As for his brother, ah well :P

    I can't wait to see how his death will affect everything because I'm sure it will.

    Morvyn escaped too, I wonder if Reinier will strike back for this and if he does than what side will Sterren stand on? I guess I'll have to find out some other day because you ended there :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reinier does have sincere feelings for Sterren. He may be sort of the villain in this story, but my 'villains' aren't usually made of pure evil and spend their days planning out new ways to kick puppies. They tend to be people who do the wrong thing or hurt people not because it gives them pleasure but for other, more story driven reasons.

      The death of Reinier's brother will have a huge impact on this story, as will Morvyn's escape. But you will have to wait for that. =P

      Thanks, Aeon!

      Delete
  8. That was one great big drama bomb you dropped on this chapter Caterpillar. I was so caught up in reading I didn't notice how close I was to the end of the post and when I reached it I was like :o Nooooo! Don't leave me hanging! :o I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mellowyellow!
      You don't have to wait anymore, chapter 34 is up. =D

      Delete
  9. YAY Morvyn is freed! *cheers* *stares at Reinier* --> I'm complicated.
    Ahh... Reinier's. so. hot. His romanticness totally got to me in this chapter how he would be willing to become a commoner so he could be with his love. *sighs*
    Ew, I hate his brother's wife. I wanted to bitch slap her. I'm sure Sterren did too. Ha, when she came down in a dress and Reinier drooled. Heehee, she looks damn good. I like her pants get up too it's tough.
    Oh dear, his brother... Reinier's not going to be happy, and now he has no one to vouch for him when his father comes back with his arranged bride... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reinier can be really romantic. And complicated. I've really enjoyed writing him, but he's also very difficult.

      Yeah, the brother's wife is a bitch, the typical snobby noblewoman.
      And the death of Reinier's brother does have serious ramifications.

      Delete
  10. Oh boy. I don't think that Reinier would ever be not a nobleman or learn to live in a common place as a common man. I don't think so. Just his words to his brother about still being the one and only dragon slayer shows he is not about him for the sake of others but about him for himself and his ego. jerk.
    There will be all out vengeance now. If/when he learns of Sterren's role, he will be beyond livid. Too bad he can't see both sides, but he's too arrogant.

    The escape was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Reinier did mean what he said when he said it, but you are right, I don't think stepping down like that would be as simple for him as he thinks. He is much too involved in his image to just blend in with the commonfolk, and even trying it might make him miserable.

      His brother's death here will have a major impact on everything that comes next, definitely.

      Delete
  11. Well, at least it wasn't Reinier that they killed, not necessarily an innocent but hated that he was killed anyways.

    Wow, Reinier offering to be a commoner for Sterren..we'll see how this plays out but he seems genuine, wonder what he would do if he found out she released the Morvyn?...edenz~

    ReplyDelete