Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chapter 36: I Have Been So Blind




Reinier pulls himself up to a sitting position, his head throbbing from being thrown down to the floor. "Sterren," he murmurs, worried she might be hurt by the fall. But no, he realizes as he looks in her direction. The ...creature...obviously not human, who appeared to disrupt his wedding so violently now kneels before Sterren, taking her hand to help her up. Whatever he'd done to Reinier and his men, Sterren was untouched. 

With the same flash of light that accompanied his appearance, the strange creature disappears, taking Sterren with him.


Father Loyset, thrown back against the altar, groans, and Reinier helps him to his feet, while his men also rise. None of them were seriously injured by their falls.


"That woman is witch, my lord!" the old priest exclaims,  "A practitioner of the black arts! She summoned a demon. Here, in this sacred place! You must not think of marrying such an unholy creature. She is an abomination, and must be destroyed!"  The priest finds his courage now, when Sterren is gone and Reinier cannot force him at sword point to perform the marriage rite.



"I knew she had a gift for healing, but I never thought her to be a witch," Reinier muses, growing thoughtful as he re-examines every conversation he'd had with Sterren in the short time he'd known her.

"She's ensorcelled you with her magic," the priest says, "Seduced you to gain influence with you..."

That possibility had crossed Reinier's mind. After she'd bandaged his wounds, he spent days thinking of nothing but her, and his subsequent visit to Avendale was more about meeting her again than his avowed purpose of hunting dragons. And when he did see her again, he threw himself at her feet and offered her his hand in marriage. And that's where the love spell theory begins to unwind. She took him to her bed, but she never wanted to be his wife, fighting against that even here in the church where he would have wed her, and resorting to summoning one of the Old Ones, ancient demons the people in these parts call 'the fair folk', inhuman, magic wielding beings who existed before the birth of mankind, both worshipped and feared by the ignorant and superstitious, before the grace of the Watcher enlightened them, to rescue her.

So, if not the power and influence that would come from being his wife, what did she want from him?



Reinier turns to Anselm, the knight who's been with his brother the night he was attacked. "You said the creature that struck you down had, pale, odd colored skin, pointed ears, and his face was marked with designs, " he says, rubbing his chin, "Was it the same creature as appeared here today?"

"No, my lord," Anselm answers, "This one was nothing like the other."

When he'd captured the wilder, a dragon came after him. The night the captive was rescued, his brother was assassinated by a wilder woman and one of these fair folk. 'You'll never kill another dragon' was what the wilder said to Deidericx as she sunk his knife into him. Reinier had sensed some connection between the wilders and the dragons, and now apparently the fair folk were involved as well. He remembers Sterren's reaction to his captive wilder, her demand that he free his prisoner. She followed him to Odet then, he had vainly thought in pursuit of his affections. But on the night she arrived, his prisoner was set free, and his brother murdered, mistaken for himself. He'd been in Sterren's bed that night, and cannot directly tie her to these events. But still, her association with the fair folk, her use of magic, her sympathy for the wilder...it all points to the possibility that he'd been her dupe the entire time.


Sterren had barely gotten to her feet when her rescuer suddenly transported them both back to the Lady's sacred grove in Avendale, and as they arrived, she lost her balance and fell softly into the grass. He reaches a hand out to her, and once again, helps her to her feet.



Until very recently, Moth was the only example of the fair folk Sterren had seen. Meeting Ico had given her a new perspective on what their kind might be like. Whatever image she might have formed of them is shattered as she stands face to face with her savior. "You...you are him, aren't you?" she gasps in reverent awe, glancing at the statue of the Lady beside them.

Auberon smiles slightly. He knows the mortals' stories, and the role he plays in them, so he does not have to ask Sterren who she means by 'him'. There is only one 'him' she could be referring to. "I am," he says, and then has to stop her from dropping to her knees before him, "That is not necessary, daughter," he says, "You are safe here?"

Sterren nods, trying to find words, anything to say to this prince of the fair folk, consort of the Lady herself.

"Then I will go," he says, "I have seen already by too many of your kind."

"May I---may I ask your name?" Sterren manages to get out before he disappears again.

"I am Auberon," he says, and then is gone.




She walks home, numb, seeing nothing, hearing nothing, just walking, to get to her house her bed. Once she's there, she breaks, curling around herself, alone her bed, crying.  The whole day and night is spent in sorrowful lament, crying as she thinks of his touch, the sweet words he'd whispered to her, all lies. In the morning, hough she'd eaten nothing since her last breakfast with Reinier, she retches up everything inside her, as though her body wishes to purge him from her.

She must go to her uncle, she thinks, steeling herself as she dresses, he'll want to know she's home. And she'll have to tell him...what? How much of this sorry tale does Marrec need to know? Her hard won composure breaks and Sterren falls to the floor, weak, crying. She will have to see her uncle, as Lord of Avendale, he'll need to be informed of the happenings in Odet, but she's not ready to face his disappointment in her. He wanted a marriage, an alliance with the Landgraab family, and she not only refused, but mat have made them enemies instead. In this state, crumbling into tears at just the thought of Reinier's smile, she cannot muster the strength to defend her actions. What she needs is someone she can confide in without judgment, a friend who had nothing invested in her possible union with Reinier. Sterren gets up, washes the tears from her face once again, and takes the road leading to Taran Madec's farm.



Taran listens to her tale, how she set out to rescue the dragon slayer's wilder prisoner, with the aid of the fair folk, ad all that happened in Odet. "And then, when he dragged me into the church of his Watcher, meaning to force me into marriage with him, I saw that I had never really known him at all. I thought I was in love with him, but I never knew what he was, never believed..."


"How could I have been so blind?" she sobs, falling into Taran's arms, "How could I fall in love with such a man?"

"It's in your nature to see the best in people," Taran whispers, holding her as she sobs into his chest, "When we last spoke of him, you had your doubts about him. Your were not blind to his faults, you just gave in to the hope that his better nature would overcome them. I am sorry, so sorry, that he hurt you, but I would not see you change, become bitter, or afraid to love. If he has damaged your spirit..." Taran cannot continue, because a peasant like himself poses no threat to a great lord, and he can do nothing with the anger that burns inside him, the desire to strike out against the man that had the love of a woman like Sterren and abused it.


Taran's sympathy and the warmth of his embrace, brings her more comfort than his words, and her tears for the moment abate. But even as she begins to find her strength again, another wave of nausea crashes over her. She groans as she turns away, clutching her roiling stomach.

"Sterren?" Taran calls to her gently.


She rushes out of his arms, out of his house, and heaves violently into the bushes. As a healer, she knows the ways of the body, and while there is a poetry in thinking hers is trying to rid itself of the poison of Reinier's false love,  she knows better than to believe it.

Taran follows her, concerned. He's no healer, but he's a father, and has seen these signs before, when his wife was pregnant. "Are you with child?" he asks in a whisper. It would be a terribly personal question, one he would never broach with any other woman.


Sterren breaks into sobs again as she falls onto a nearby bench. Taran is right, she's with child, there is no doubt. "What am I to do?" she cries, "He can't know, can't know this child is his."

"You'll need another man to claim paternity," Taran says.

Sterren thinks of Gaelle and how she's duped Treveur Brannon into believing she carries his child. "I would not be capable of such deceit," she murmurs, thinking out loud.

"I know the child is not mine, but I would be its father, Steren," Taran says, his voice quiet and grave.

"Oh," she gasps, realizing what he's offering to do for her, "I couldn't ask this of you, to raise another man's child."



"You aren't asking it of me, Sterren," Taran says, taking her hand, "I am offering you what help I can give you."

"You are truly the best friend I could have," Sterren says, managing a smile behind her tears, "But you cannot take this burden on yourself."

"What burden, Sterren? Your child needs a father, and my daughter needs a mother. My burden has been raising her on my own. I would not marry just any woman to take that role, but Elara adores you, and we have long been friends. You need me, and I am here for you."

"And do you think the people will believe I carry your child? I know my aunt put out the word that she expected a marriage between myself and Reinier. It may be that people will suspect the truth even if we did arrange a hasty marriage."

"Before the dragon slayer ever set foot in this village, there was gossip about you and me, Sterren. The widow Cariou actually demanded once that I make an honest woman of you."

Sterren giggles at the mental image of the old woman poking her bony finger at Taran. "Truly? Where do they get such ideas?"

"They see a man and a woman spending time together, and that's all they need to spread gossip. So, yes, a hasty marriage between us, followed quickly by the birth of a child, will be believed by the village without question. You being pregnant with my child could even be the reason the expected alliance with the Landgraab fell apart."

Sterren nods, seeing the wisdom in his plan. "Thank you, Taran," she sighs, glad of his friendship and the affection they share, "I am lucky to have you."

25 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness.

    She isn't safe there! Reinier is a dangerous man, and dangerous men become even more so when they've been wronged/slighted/cheated. He's going to seek revenge, and I now fear for Taran as well.

    Speaking of Taran, I believe he may have more tender feelings for her than friendship. Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me, seeing romance where there is none because I like my rose-colored glasses. Still, at any rate, I can see he's been lonely, and he enjoys her company. People have married for less. I admire him for his immediate offer for help.

    It bothers me how the 'church of the watcher' was so quick to condemn women with extra abilities as witches, conspiring with demons. ykwim. Paranoia and misunderstanding. Well, I guess further proof that people, and sims, aren't perfect.

    Reinier better not believe that he was under a spell. Surely he's not that stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reinier is a dangerous man, so Sterren should be worried. But he's going to have a few other issues to deal with in the short term, and can't go rushing off to seek revenge.

      I'm a hopeless romantic as well, and I'm deliberately setting up a parallel between Ardax/Uvie and Taran/Sterren here. Taran has a lot of the same qualities as Ardax had.

      Yeah, the priest and his whole religion are pretty intolerant and quick to judge, and condemn. It's sad, but it does reflect real life history.

      Reinier is not stupid, but he is proud, and pride might cause him to believe he was put under spell rather than accept that he fell in love with a woman who ended up betraying him. But he isn't sure yet what he believes. He sees a lot of loose ends and unanswered questions, and knows things were not exactly as he initially saw them to be.

      Delete
  2. Taran is such a good man and a great friend, I think it was sweet of him to offer to claim paternity of Sterren's child, not many men would do that. Reinier scares me, esp since he has so much power and influence. Great update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valpre!
      Taran is a great friend to have.Not many men would do whtat he did, and Sterren is lucky to have him.

      Delete
  3. So if finally caught up with your writing and I guess I can sum up what I have greatly enjoyed so far in one word: EPIC!
    This, truly, is an amazing read and I honestly can not wait to see where you will take the story from here. I am glad I found this ^^
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chapter, and I love your photography as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taran. I love you. Forget Sterren, yeah, I love her too, but I want to marry you. Kthanx.

    Woah. So, Sterren has had some faith restored in the fair folk, and Reinier has worked out what happened the other night with the prisoner. Luckily, he doesn't realise Sterren left the bed and freed him herself, so she could still technically say otherwise, but I doubt he'd believe her.

    Sterren, hun, you sure ain't safe anywhere. Especially not in your own house. He knows where you liiiveee!

    But, Taran... *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taran is definitely a keeper, I'd marry him in a second.

      Reinier isn't starting to piece things together, but he's not got it all figured out yet. And if he thinks Sterren had anything to do with his brother's death, he'd be dead wrong.

      Delete
  6. lol Gem, I was thinking similar thoughts! :P Taran is so sweet!

    Friendship is always a great foundation for marriage. I hope they are happy together for the little bit of time they have. I imagine that Reinier is not going to sit idly by, and in fact there is the little matter of vengeful ghosts and visions that say eventually this doesn't end well.

    But, baby! Yay! lol

    I'm so looking forward to the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. As I said in an earlier comment, I'm making a parallel between Uvie and Sterren's relationships, and there's a similar dynamic where she starts off with this story book romance that ends sadly, and she later develops a longer, deeper relationship with a man who was her friend before he was her lover.

      But of course there are differences, like the fact that Reinier is not Auberon and will not just step back so his lover can be happy with someone else. Yeah, no, that's not Reinier, lol.
      And, the visions, of course. I tied my hands by doing that, didn't I?

      Delete
  7. Poor Sterren. =( The pics were really good this chapter.

    I want to be happy for her and for Taran, but I know what has to happen eventually. ;.;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky!
      I know, it's hard not to be sad when you know what's coming eventually.

      Delete
  8. Oh I really hope Taran doesn't get hurt because he wants to help Sterren. His little girl just got better I really don't want to see her become an orphan because of that nut job Reinier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be really sad for Elara to lose her father. =(

      Delete
  9. Yep, now it looks like they can confirm that Sterren is a witch. Can't really blame them after seeing all that lol and now she's pregnant! Well...I feel like it's a matter of time before Reinier finds out about this. It's good that Taran is there for her but I only see this ending in tragedy somehow! Either way I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing Sterren has on her side is that gossip about her pregnancy and marriage would move slowly from her town to Reinier's, and he has a lot on his plate with his father due to arrive soon. Also, he isn't in a secure enough position in the town he's taking over to just go riding off after Sterren immediately.
      Still, there is a lot of potential for this to end badly for everyone,
      Thanks, Aeon!

      Delete
  10. I just started reading this, and I am glad I did... So very interesting!

    I'm a little worried about this plan though... Reiner isn't just going to let her go. Things are going to end very badly I believe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen!
      Reinier is not the type to just let things go, so, yeah, a bad end looks very likely. =(

      Delete
  11. :) Taran is such a sweetie. I saw the Ardax/Uvie parallel. Ah yes, the medieval ways of thinking women are witches when they do stuff. I'm glad Reinier is smart and he doesn't believe he was under a love spell. *swoon* He's so sexy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taran is a really great guy, and a lot like Ardax.
      Sterren actually is a witch, she does have magic powers. And that's a crime in Watcherism.
      Reinier doesn't know what to believe at this point, but it does seem unlikely that he had been under a spell.

      Delete
  12. I HATE religious people like that. They make my skin crawl. Not a Single Thing one can do to make others see that they are blithering idiots and they twist and turn each word and happening to suit there own agenda... Of course Reinier had a spell cast on him, since everyone knows that common blood breeds witches and warlocks and all evils. A nobleman could never be wrong, nor a priest.

    Goodness I hope that Taran and his daughter are safe and that he can keep Sterren safe because Reinier is about to wipe out that village. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the priest there is quite the zealot. And he is quite good at twisting things to suit his agenda.



      Delete
  13. Ohhhhh, i was fearful after Auberon came and took her from the church, Reinier seems to think that he was her pawn, and now does believe she is a witch, i just hope and pray he does not find out she carries his child!

    Taran is a heaven send for her.Now if Reinier will just stay away, although i can't see that happening. I just can't figure out if he will want her for revenge or to possess her...edenz~

    ReplyDelete